Open Work permits provided to foreign workers who are successful in their application for a work permit may be used while their permanent residence application is being processed or if their spouse possesses a valid work visa in Canada. There are several different ways to apply for a Spousal Sponsorship Open Work Visa, each with its own set of requirements.
What is a Spouse Open Work Permit?
Open work permits enable spouses of temporary Canadian work visas to work anywhere within Canada, with minimal limitations. While the inland sponsorship application for permanent residency is being handled, spouses and common-law partners of Canadians may apply for an open work permit.
IRCC expects to evaluate applications submitted under the Spousal Sponsorship programme within a 12-month time frame. While awaiting an IRCC judgement, foreign spouses may work under the Open Work Permit Program. Allowing spouses to stay together throughout the lengthy application process might alleviate some of the financial and emotional burdens that come with it.
Open Work Permit Criteria for Spousal Visa
- The applicant must have a valid temporary resident status (as a visitor, student, or worker) and apply for permanent residence through the Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship Immigration Program.
- The applicant must live at the same address as the sponsor (spouse/common-law partner).
- For spousal and common-law partner sponsorship, both the applicant and sponsor must be eligible.
- An open work permit and a sponsorship may both be requested at the same time. After receiving an acknowledgement of receipt from IRCC, you may apply for a work permit online if you have previously applied for sponsorship.
Is it possible to get an open work visa if the spouse has applied for my sponsorship?
- If you haven’t already done so, you may submit your sponsorship, permanent residency, and open work permit applications in a single envelope. Ensure that all supporting documents and payment proofs are included in all applications.
- If your application for permanent residency has been filed but has not yet been approved, you may submit an Open Work Permit application in physical form to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta.
- Open work permit applications may be filed online or by mail to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville (CPC-V), Alberta after your permanent residency application has been granted in principle.
A spousal open work permit may only be awarded for as long as the primary applicant’s open work permit. As a result, if the applicant’s passport is about to expire, the visa will not be provided.
Can You remain in Canada if your tourist permit runs out while you wait for my SOWP to be processed?
Those who have filed for In-Canada sponsorship on an expired visiting visa and have applied for the Spousal Open Work Permit are considered to be in a “maintained” status. This implies that you may stay in Canada without a legal permit under the same circumstances while you await the outcome of your SOWP application.
Migrate to Canada from Qatar with Giant Migration!
If you wish to know more about Spouse Open Work Permit and other immigration types, connect with us.